After our weekend in Battle we still had a few days before our next house sit started. We decided to stay at an Airbnb in London so Evan could work in a quiet house and while we played around London!

Our first morning there we decided to pop over to the Natural History museum, and our route on the tube took us through Victoria Station. We were supposed to change trains and keep going but as we got off the tube I noticed the time and realized we could catch the changing of the guard again! Hopefully, I thought, it would be less crowded and the kids might enjoy it more.

So we walked over to Buckingham Palace and right away we knew something was up. Police guarded the streets, the side date was open and carriage tracks were left in the street. Nobody was allowed up to the palace gates and helicopters were circling but crowds were dispersing. I texted Evan to look up what was going on at Buckingham Palace this morning and sure enough we had JUST missed the Queen leaving Buckingham Palace in her carriage to Westminster Palace. Within 5 or 10 minutes guys! I was DYING! She was opening a new session of Parliament and he we were, completely clueless! We had no idea!

We heard the gun salute and saw soldiers marching here and there. We weren’t sure how long it would take for the Queen’s speech and didn’t want to stand around all day but the police were still blocking roads off so we figured it must not be long and decided to wait it out.

We’re SO glad we did! It wasn’t long at all and soon there was a huge procession of soldiers and horses and bands and carriages! We got to see the Queen and Prince Charles in their carriage on their way back to Buckingham Palace after opening Parliament! We also saw the carriage the Imperial Crown is carried in and several others as well.

It was unreal, especially given the sporadic, spontaneous nature of our visit to Buckingham palace that morning! We had no idea that we were in for such a regal display! We really lucked out, and the kids totally got it. They were actually able to appreciate what a rare treat that was! It was such a special morning!

– from @nomaderwhere_mama on instagram.

Leave a Reply